CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

What is a good cat food to control acid reflux in cats My cat has been vomiting for

What is a good cat food to control acid reflux in cats? My cat has been vomiting for several months, on and off. All blood work and xrays are normal and a new food was suggested. However, the new food still makes him puke. I think he has acid reflux based upon what I have read. Not sure what food to get. He will go for a week or even a month and then vomit almost whole food and then puke bile about 7 more times throughout the day and sometimes into the evening, then as soon as it comes on, he will be fine for another day/week/month. Can't figure out what to do!!
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

What specific foods have you used, so I know to recommend others?
-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Blue Buffalo all natural cat food, Science Digest, Petsmart brand sensitive stomach and another venison and pea recommended by the vet but I can't recall the name. I have tried duck, turkey, salmon, whole grains, brown rice, oat meal, etc etc.

Most recently I have been giving him Petsmart Brand (Authority) sensitive stomach turkey with digestive enzymes on top and that has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced his throwing up. In fact we went for a whole month with nothing. Then he started throwing up about once a week, but if he threw up once it would be several times after that and generally it is just bile, not whole food.

However, yesterday, he threw up whole food (so I thought he had eaten too quickly), but then he threw up about 7 more times after that within 2 hours. He stopped and I thought he was finished, but then he threw up 3 times in the middle of the night and a few more times this morning. He is now resting. He is happy, purring, seems to be using the littler box and has no other signs of being sick. In fact, he seems to be interesting in drinking water.

I would gladly take him back to the vet but after a $500 bill and all the tests you can imagine and all I got was he has a sensitive stomach, I dont want to drag him back there again. He does not do well in the car!

For signs such as this - a common diet for cats to consider is Hill's Z/D (LINK HERE)

Moreover, if this is true acid reflux, 2.5mg of over the counter Pepcid A/C once per day can also be safely used.

I hope this helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks...I usually give him dry food because I travel frequently and it is easier to just set the food out. Does it matter if I use dry food or canned food?
It should not matter dry or canned, but the Hill's Z/D comes in both options anyway.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been using the Hill's z/d, which seemed to reduce the puking, but did not stop it. Then he started to throw up again on a frequent basis. In doing some internet research, I found that all Siamese tend to have sensitive stomachs and others had good luck with food made specifically for that breed of cat. I have been buying one from Petco and it has helped but he is still throwing up. Although now he generally doesnt throw up whole food, it's bile or pretty clear liquid and then it eventually has a tinge of blood in it, like he has a bleeding ulcer or I guess where he pukes so much his esophagus bleeds??? Other than the puking, he is using his litter box just fine, purring, playing. He does not tolerate taking a pill so I havent been able to give him any acid reflux meds.