Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

My cat vomits 2-4 times per day, every day. She vomits food

My cat vomits 2-4 times per day, every day. She vomits food then bile, and not right after she eats, it starts several hours later then occurs throughout the day and night. She is 8, I got her at 6. The first year it was not every day but once or twice multiple times per week so I took her to the vet several times and he found nothing wrong with her. He had us try multiple different natural foods and there was no change. I have tried literally every kind of cat food that I can find or was recommended. He gave her shots to stop the vomiting and there was zero impact. A year later it is much worse. She vomits up most of her food, although some must go through because her litter box has stool and urine (not bloody). She seems lethargic and it seems like she does not feel well but she is sweet and loving all the time... She is destroying my house but more importantly she cries before she vomits and it has to be awful for her... What is going on? The vet took blood tests (all came back normal, or exceptional he said) and said there was some full round of tests that could be done which were quite expensive. I got her from a shelter with no intent of spending a lot of money I do not have, I see why she was given up in the first place but am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Has your vet done xrays or an ultrasound?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I am sure he would like to as he said there were additional tests he could run but I really did not want to spend that kind of money.
Thanks for the info...

Even wit these signs, this still could be caused by a hair mass that is too far down her digestive tract to come out Athena's mouth but is still present and causing her to feel nauseous. For this give Laxatone , a dose every 4 hrs for a day and then a dose twice a day until the problem resolves. there are times that this becomes an obstruction and this may have to be removed surgically.

These signs could also indicate an intestinal lymphoma or cancer and if this is the case, the prognosis is not good and there will not be treatments for this.

Try the laxatone first....this can be purchased at the pet store.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try the Laxatone, no problem, but would a hair mass stay present for that long? This literally has been occuring since I got her 2 years ago (so who knows how long it occurred before then - and probably why the previous owner gave her up in the first place). I fear the latter but wouldn't it show up in the blood tests which were specifically focused on finding a flag for cancer?

I will "accept" your answer, just wanted to clarify a bit more. Thanks, Lynn

No, Lynn...intestinal Lymphoma does not show up in any lab work...biopsy is the only way. Since this has been going on for so ,long, I also fear that she may be suffering from Inflammatory Bowel Disease and the initial treatment for this is a hypoallergenic cat food such as Royal Canin Hypoallergenic. Your vet also will have medications to help with this.'

Here is a site, Lynn that will explain further. Hair masses can be the trouble for many years.......

www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=304
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.