alhdvm
alhdvm, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 11+ years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I work on all species of animals.
10679819

Will antibiotics cause a cat to get diarrhea

Will antibiotics cause a cat to get diarrhea?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  alhdvm replied 3 years ago.

alhdvm :

Hi there. I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.

alhdvm :

Yes, some types of antibiotics can cause diarrhea in cats. Is your cat on antibiotics now?

Customer :

She had a shot of antibiotics on Jan. 21st for an infection. We had inadvertently caused her first bout of diarrrhea by giving her a new diet with lots more fiber than she was used to. After getting her familiar diet she developed diarrhea again about 3 days ago. She has not been given any table scraps, milk,etc.

alhdvm :

Do you know what shot she received? Was it Convenia? What type of infection did she have?

alhdvm :

Is the diarrhea real watery?

Customer :

Sorry, I don't know what antibiotic it was. I believe the infection was caused by her not being able to clean herself properly. She came to us on Dec. 30 from the Humane Society, weighing 14 lbs,. Looked almost circular from above. They gave her the shot and at our insistence clipped the hair around her bottom. She has lost about 2 pounds and is able to clean herself now and plays some.

alhdvm :

Well the antibiotic shot was so long ago now that I doubt it is having much effect.

Customer :

the diarrhea is wet, and runny, but small amounts.

alhdvm :

Usually if they are going to have diarrhea from the antibiotic it is within the first few days of receiving it.

alhdvm :

What diet is she on now?

Customer :

She makes it to the litterbox on time she does not have accidents and does not seem to have cramps. She is being fed Science Diet Original. 1 cup a day. We don't leave it down but feed her when she asks if it stays under the 1 cup/day.

alhdvm :

I either take her to your vet or take just a sample of the diarrhea into your vet so they can check it for parasites. That is the first thing I would check.

alhdvm :

Sometimes they have parasites/worms in their system and they don't show up unless they get stressed.

Customer :

When she got the shot she was checked for parasites and had been wormed? on a regular basis at the Humane Society. If you think it is a good thing to go to the vet we will, but you know she doesn't like the trip. Thanks for your help.

alhdvm :

Yes, many cats don't like the vet trip! lol :)

alhdvm :

What diet did you have her on that was the high fiber.

alhdvm :

It has to be A LOT of fiber to cause diarrhea. Usually we use fiber to treat diarrhea.

Customer :

The Science Diet Light.

alhdvm :

I really would be surprised if that caused the diarrhea just from the added fiber. Maybe because you changed the diet too quickly? Especially using the same brand of food doesn't usually cause diarrhea.

Customer :

OK we are off the the vet tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

alhdvm :

As for the parasite check, I would recommend you ask them to send it out to the lab and don't have them read it at the hospital.

alhdvm :

Many vets have technicians reading those tests that aren't really trained properly to do so.

alhdvm :

They need to be looking for giardia and coccidia and not just roundworms, hookworms, etc.

alhdvm :

I would also recommend giving her filtered or bottled water if you can.

Customer :

Good point! Being in town with the U of Fla, animal teaching Hosp. should get us the help we need. We used filtered RO water but will be sure the cats get it too.

alhdvm :

Sounds good! Yes UF is a great place to go. I'm in the Tampa area and we send patients there often for special testing, etc.

Customer :

Good by!

alhdvm :

Other than parasites she could have inflammatory bowel disease or a food allergy.......

alhdvm :

There are other things too. I bet UF can give you all the info!

alhdvm :

Great chatting with you. I hope this was helpful!

Customer :

The next day: We took her to UF and they are doing a full work up on her. Didn't like her lumpy fat! Worry worry.

alhdvm, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have 11+ years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I work on all species of animals.