CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My 12 year old cat is passing blood and some clots with her

My 12 year old cat is passing blood and some clots with her stool. She has been checked for worms, and was negative. What could the bleeding mean?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

In thinking about this - it sounds as if your cat may have a colitis. The blood is from inflammation of the tissue in the colon.

Here is a great link that talks about colitis

These signs can be from many different causes including eating something abnormal and even certain types of infections including intestinal parasites, giardia, and coccidia.

The best way to tell what is the cause would be to have your veterinarian do an examination and perform some tests, initially looking at the feces, testing for some of these infectious causes like parasites and protozoa.

If there is no cause and this is a non-specific colitis, your veterinarian may prescribe an antibiotic called Metronidazole which is a great medication for non specific cases of colitis similar to this.

At home you may wish to try 1 tablspoon of a fiber source such as bran or metamucil in the food every 24 hours to help with the form of the stool.

I hope this information helps! PLEASE let me know
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian