Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My cat is scratching/ biting herself raw in spots. There is

My cat is scratching/ biting herself raw in spots. There is no one area in particular. At first we thought she was fighting with our other at, but we haven't witnessed any of these fights. The wounds are not noticable until you pick her up and stroke her. She is generally an outdoor cat, but not in the winter. There is no change in her drinking or eating and she eats only dry food unless she steals wet food from the dogs' dish. Is this an allergy? Or perhaps the house is too dry?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question about Maude. What areas on her body are affected? Or is it basically everywhere? How large is each wound or affected area?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry, I have dial-up so my timing is off!
The areas affected are mainly around her neck and back- anywhere she can get at with her back claws. The wounds range in size from a 1/2 inch to 1 inch. Mostly we notice the scabbing areas, not so much any open wounds.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. Are there any areas with small pin-point crusts or scabs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks. Is she excessively flaky or oily, from what you can see and feel?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would say she does seem dry and flaky
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Is there any odor to her?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, no odor
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks. With the symptoms you're describing, I would be concerned about possible fungal infection (ringworm), so I would definitely suggest having your veterinarian perform a fungal culture soon, especially because some types of fungal infection are contagious to people. Other possibilities include bacterial infection, and allergies. Flea allergy is possible, though usually it does not appear in the manner you have described.

Dryness can be a contributing factor, so adding a fish oil capsule to the food daily may help, but I think there's more to it than just that, so I do believe that a veterinary visit is a smart idea.