Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

there is black around the outside of my cats penis what could

there is black around the outside of my cats penis what could this mean
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Does this look like a different hair color, some type of discharge or dirt/debris? Is he licking this area often? What color is Tiggy's haircoat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is white and orange, white in that area, It doesn't look like discharge but I have tried to clean it off with wet q-tips and it won't come off. He doesn't seem to be licking it more then normal
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Does it look more like it is on the hair only or dirt/debris on the skin and hair? Is it possible for you to take a picture of the area and post it to your next message, using the "tree" icon on the toolbar above or posting it to a picture sharing website and sending me the link?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it looks like it is on the skin like right inside where his penis retracts I can't take a picture he won't hold still long enough for me to
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Most likely you are just seeing some skin pigment change in this area. It is common for skin to have some pigmentation there or to even develop as they get older. If there is a mass or lump developing in this area, or if it seems more like a discharge, I may be more concerned about it. It definitely won't hurt to have your vet check it out just in case. It is difficult to say for sure without looking at it, but if it just looks like a spot on the skin, it is most likely just a pigmented area. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.