CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

What is the avg cost of a blood transfusion for a cat. My cat is a male neutered almo

What is the avg cost of a blood transfusion for a cat. My cat is a male neutered almost 9 yr old. He is very anemic. Last rbc test was 13. cause has not yet been determined. he has a bad eye that has been blind for about two or three years. we don't know what happened to it but his dr doesn't seem to be worried about it. I wonder if it could be the problem because the last month or two it has gotten worse looking. It is swollen, the lens is clouded over and it is detached and it is floating around in his eyeball. could that eye be infected causing his problems with low red blood cell count and loss of appeitite
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Including the catheter, blood typing, hospitalization, and transfusion - the cost will be approximately $400.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How low can red blood cell count get before he dies. If his blind eye is infected could that cause his anemia (non regenerative anemia) I read online that absecesses could cause nonregenerative anemia.. His bad eye looks really bad , could that be the problem

There is no exact number - for either life, death, or what we call a "TRANSFUSION TRIGGER" - it really depends on how the patient is clincially.

Cats with chronic anemia have had time to responsd and adapt and do better even at lower numbers.

Cats with acute anemia (sudden change) appear more ill.

For this reason it really depends on how sick the individual patient is.

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.