Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

MY CATS EYE IS DRAINING MUCUS AND IS RED. THE CAT IS ON ANTIBIOTIC

MY CATS EYE IS DRAINING MUCUS AND IS RED. THE CAT IS ON ANTIBIOTIC THE VET SAID IT COULD BE A TUMOR OR AN ABCESS BUT BEFORE GOING FURTHER WITH ANY TREATMENT WE NEED TO SEE HOW THE CAT RESPONSE TO THE MEDICINE. THE CAT HAS NOT LOSS HER APPETITE BUT HER STOOL HAS BECOME LOOSE. SHE IS 19 YEARS OLD. THE SWELLING AROUND HER EYE SEEMS TO HAVE GONE DOWN BUT AS I SAID IT IS STILL RUNNY. WHAT WOULD THE SAFEST PROCDURE BE FOR HER. SHOULD I APPLY HEAT TO HER EYE?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. Clavamox can cause gastrointestinal upset, so that is likely the cause of the diarrhea. I assume that your vet also has the cat on topical antibiotic drops for the eye. If there are no eye drops, then i would gently wipe the discharge away with A warm, wet washcloth, and you can use artificial tears drops from a pharmacy over the counter and put a drop in the eye every 4-6 hours. I would not apply heat, because if there is a problem with increased pressure in the eye, that could make it worse. If hints are not getting better, when it comes to eye stuff, it is really best to recheck with your vet. Best of luck.