Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian
Experience:  Canine and Feline Specialist, DABVP, Veterinarian since 2000

Good morning. My cat has a cloudy patch over her right eye.

Good morning. My cat has a cloudy patch over her right eye. It is on the lens.
It appears not to affect her in any way, except it is not receding or diminishing in any way. It has been there almost a month or more. She is aprox a year and a half. She was rescued as a kitten from a dock area.
We live in the British Virgin Islands, and she hunts a lot, mainly lizards, small frogs, and cockroaches seem quite tasty. Some of the frogs are slightly toxic.
She has had one cat fight which resulted in a swollen eye, the same with the cloud, but that was at least 10 months ago.
We have her regulary to the vets for her boosters as there are a lot of nasties that can be caught, however I am getting mixed reports of what this eye condition could be. With limited resources to Vets on the island, I thought it beter to get another opinion.
Please advise. thank you. Ross/Alex and cat Tia.
Hi Ross and Alex,

Thank you for your question about Tia.

Is it possible to post a couple of pictures of her eye? Straight on, and from the side?

If not, that's ok, and we can proceed without. I'm wondering if the cloudy aspect is on the cornea, the clear covering at the front of the eye, or if it is located on the lens, BEHIND the iris (colored part of the eye). The location would make a big difference on the process.

Also, does the eye seem comfortable? Does she hold it closed or partially closed, blink often, or is there discharge or evidence of redness to the white part of the eye - conjunctivitis?

Finally, any episodes of sneezing or runny/watery eyes that seem to come and go?

Thank you so much for the additional information. I'll be standing by to help!
Dr. Devlin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What a great picture!

That is very helpful.
Can you let me know about those other questions?
Thanks so much,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, couldnt work out how to type and photo at the same time.

Ok so it is on the cornea, the clear covering of the eye. She doesnt seem to have any discomfort, no squinting or blinking. She just acts as she always has. Also no watery or runny eyes, and no extra discharge.
She has always had that bit of brown discharge along the botXXXXX XXXXXd of her eye, in both eyes, since we got her, and it is only very slight so I didnt think that was a problem. It has not changed since the cloudy patch has appeared.

Thank you
Hey Alex,
You're welcome. I just can't get over how great that picture is.

To me, it looks like a corneal scar. A corneal scar will be an opaque infiltrate or covering of the cornea. In this case, it's probably related to the trauma she suffered awhile back.

Over time, a scar can improve, and can even resolve, but at this point, I would expect an opacity to be present from now on.

You can tell if the lesion of active or not by looking for inflammation of the conjunctiva. With early corneal lesions or ongoing damage, there should be tiny tiny blood vessels that grow out from the edge of the cornea and go to the lesion. After the lesion heals, these vessels go away and can no longer be seen. If you look closely, and can see these vessels, or any signs of inflammation of her conjunctiva, or is she acts painful, then a vet visit is in order.

Feline viral herpesvirus can also cause corneal ulcers and damage. This can lead to scarring also. If she has herpesvirus, it is the norm to have periodic flareups of sneezing, running eyes, or ocular pain. If this is noticed, I would also recommend seeing your vet.

In addition, it is always helpful to rule out FELV and FIV viruses in all cats, so you may wish to periodically have her tested for these viruses since she goes outdoors. I would defer to the vets in your area, however, since I'm not sure if your cat is at risk where you live.

At this point, since all seems quiet and she is comfortable, I would suspect the lesion is a scar, and recommend that you monitor her.

I hope this information helps!
Please let me know if you have any further questions. Sincerely,
I'll be heading offline in a few minutes, and wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions.

I'll be back online in a few hours if you need me.
Laura Devlin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much Laura.

We were most concerned this morning as our local vet told us it was lungworm causing the eye shadow. Since she has been spayed (not sure on the term) she developed a saggy belly and always asks for food. The local vet thought the two items were linked, saying a saggy belly can indicate parasites. Could this be the case, or is she just a 'fat cat'...I have heard female cats who are spayed can have eating disorders? We got her de-wormed by the vet in October and the 'belly' did not get any smaller!

Thank you for you help

I understand.

I see adipose accumulation along the midline of many neutered male and feline cats. We jokingly call this distribution the FUPA - the "fat upper pp area". :)

It's quite typical for many cats to have an excellent appetite. Obesity is common since their caloric requirement is quite small - most adult altered cats need less then 1/2 cup of weight management food daily! Some need as little as 1/4 cup total for the day to maintain weight, although they do feel quite hungry with this small amount of intake.

I'm not sure the association between lungworms and her abdomen or corneal changes that your vet is making... none comes to mind. Lungworms can be difficult to treat and require special tests to diagnose and particular dewormers to treat, which often needs to be repeated. Respiratory symptoms are most common with lungworms...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for all your help - 'Tia' says meoww. :-)
Very happy to hear its nothing to fret about.
Ross Alex and Tia.
You're welcome! Thank you so much for the accept.

Tell her meowee from me, too! You can reply back for a week or so if you need anything else, and can always ask for me in the future if anything comes up with her (hopefully not!)

Best wishes,