CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my cat is breathing very fast and hard .. he wont eat or drink

my cat is breathing very fast and hard .. he wont eat or drink we have been to the vet 3 times this week and just brought him home they did all the test they could. they dont think its a heart problem or leukemia or aids . they have exhausted all the tests. any ideas ? right now he is laying on the cold floor on his own after the dr said to keep him warm. he jumped out of the blanket.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

What tests did your veterinarian perform?

-

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

examination of the blood

neurological

fecal

giardia test

internal organ screen

intestinal parasite fecal exam

blood sample collect

feline snap test

thyriod screen

urinalysis test

aids

leukemia

he's been there 3 times in 4 days they gave different meds because they werent sure what was going on .. had him on iv's etc

I did not see x-rays listed. Is that correct?

-

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry yes he had xrays also .. they looked at lungs and heart and said the heart was perfect no swelling .. lunds were clean and sound clean as well ...

With all that you have done before, the answer is not going to be an easy, magical answer unfortunately.

A test to consider to get to the bottom of this if there truly is breathing problems would be an ultrasound of the heart, known as an echocardiogram to ensure the heart is beating and functioning normally.

_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they said they would do that tomorrow if he stablizes today.. they gave give a steriod shot before we took him home and a under the skin fluid injection. noone stays at the vet overnight with the animals so it seemed to me a better idea to take hime and watch him so we could take him to the er if deemed nessecary.

Excellent - sounds like we are on the same page!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you know if these are the symptoms of feline flu and could smoke exposure could do anything ?

These do not seem typical for either flu or smoke exposure.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what about the snow melter because it is tracked in and out of the house ?

Nope - not that either...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank we will get the echo done tomorrow.. is there anything we can do to keep him comfortable for the night .... trying to feed him or water or hot or cold ... ? is there any symptoms we should look out for that would notify us to take him to the er asap?

Offering food and water is fine. If the breathing is getting worse, go to the ER tonight - otherwise the Echocardiogram tomorrow is a good idea.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thank you so much ... we will watch him all night ....

You are very welcome!

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist