Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.
24683783

what does a tick on a cat look like

what does a tick on a cat look like?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 3 years ago.

Denise Colgrove :

Hi there

Customer :

hi!

Denise Colgrove :

A tick would be moveable with the head attached to the skin and the body could be moved. It would not look like it is encased in skin. It would be dark brown when small and could get to the size of an elongated pea and be light brown or tan in color when engorged.

Customer :

so it is elongated, and tan like the color of skin, so could be a tick?

Customer :

it is moveable, and about 3cm long?

Denise Colgrove :

Yes, but you should be able to lift up one end and it would move freely with the other end attached.

Denise Colgrove :

Yes if it is moveable and about 3 cms that could be an engorged tick. It should have little legs on the under surface.

Customer :

what should i do?

Denise Colgrove :

Do you have a glove? If so grasp it at the attached end as close to the skin as possible and pull it gently and steadily out the head will slowly loose its grasp. Then kill it by putting it in alcohol.

Denise Colgrove :

I meant to put on the glove and then grasp the tick.

Customer :

gotta get the husband for this one! Yuk! I know this is not good that this is here on him, but is it fatal?

Denise Colgrove :

No, you do not need to worry. There are tick borne diseases, like Lyme, but I have not seen that in a cat. You just have to protect yourself with the glove when you remove it.

Customer :

roger that! will do and should we put anything on the site? of where the tick was? Like some neosporin?

Denise Colgrove :

That would be fine.

Customer :

He is on the 5-1 treatment also, so this is strange that this happened?

Customer :

thanks so much!

Denise Colgrove :

You are very welcome.

Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience: Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.