Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

What is the dosage for Val/Torb for a 12 lb cat. I am 130

What is the dosage for Val/Torb for a 12 lb cat.
I am 130 miles from a vet that will be in on Monday. He is in pain I think, can barely stand or walk. I can find nothing broken, no obvious cuts.
Not throwing up or any diarrhea. I am giving him droppers of Pedialyte, and he will swallow some scrambled egg.

Valium is not a pain medication and I probably wouldn't give it for something like this. Some/ many cats will have an idiosyncratic reaction to Valium meaning they get excited rather than drowsy on it.

Torb is not a great pain med either as it only lasts ~ 1 hour. It's a good sedative, and typically we use it for that.

If you're going to give Torb, the dose is 0.5-1 mg per kg every 8-12 hours as needed. This would be 0.25-0.5 mg per lb.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any ideas as to how else I can help him other than the Pedialyte and the egg?
He is getting about 1 Tbs. an hour. How long could he go like this. I found him out in the barn on Friday. Our Ag Vet in Elko will not be in until Monday afternoon hopefully.
I am in Diamond Valley NV, we only have a gas station here and certainly no vet.
It all depends on what's wrong with him. It's hard to say with just weakness and decreased appetite. The one thing to keep in mind is urethral obstruction- this leads to straining to urinate and no urine production. If this is the case, then he will die without veterinary care. If he is urinating normally, then this is not the case.

If he's urinating, then keep trying to get fluids and food into him and the Torb may help with any mild pain- it will make him more sleepy though so keep that in mind.