Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat has the sniffles and congestion What meds can be used

My cat has the sniffles and congestion What meds can be used to help

HI,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Is this cat eating and drinking ok? How long has this been going on? How old is he/she?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He seems to be eating ok, he's 4 1/2 years old, my younger cat had the same problem last week, and he got over it for the most part, but the older one seems more bothered by the sniffling and sneezing...Has been going on for the last two days...I'm a dentist in NJ and have the ability to prescribe antibiotics, just looking for some guidance before taking him to vet emergency clinic on a Sunday...

Ok. From that history, I'd be suspicious that you have an upper respiratory viral infection that went from the younger one to the older one. In all reality, some will not kick it as fast as another - similar to a cold with people. A majority of these infections are viral and a few will get secondary bacterial infections. I'll be very honest and say that as long as he's still eating, drinking and not having purulent nasal discharge - I'd hold off on antibiotics. We don't really have any anti-viral treatments. Any time you start to add in antibiotics, you could find the patient gets nauseated, has diarrhea, or is supper stressed by giving the meds. So, I'd be very tempted to say just give him some more time as long as he's still eating and drinking. Let him rest. His body should be able to fight this off pretty well on its own. If at the point antibiotics are needed - I typically will use clavamox (augmentin) dosed at 13 mg / kg every 12 hours. Here's a good link on feline upper respiratory infections.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=613

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When he sneezes/sniffles small droplets do come out of his nose...Would that be indication to use antibiotic for symptomatic treatment...I know viruses just run their course, but clavamox would just help control symptoms...

If there is obvious thick, purulent (literally snot.... pardon the term) discharge - then antibiotics are brought into the picture. Right now, the droplets are just from mild sinus irritation due to the viral infection.