DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc

I had changed my cats food and now she has diarrhea. I know

I had changed my cats food and now she has diarrhea. I know this is the reason why. It has been going on for a few days now and i am just worried. how long will it take her to go to the bathroom normally again?
Hi there,
Some cats will develop diarrhea if the food is changed too suddenly (usually it is best to change over the course of one week) and some cats develop diarrhea because they are sensitive to the new food itself. If little Lola is just experiencing some diarrhea from the change, it will probably last over the next 1-2 weeks. You can try to add a little dab of yogurt to the food once daily. This acts as a probiotic to help increase the "good" (normal) bacteria of the gut and stop the diarrhea. If things do not clear up in a couple of weeks I suggest changing the food back to the original to see if this will help. If you notice any blood in the stool, dry/tacky gums, straining to defecate, or if she stops eating or becomes lethargic it is important to bring her in to see a veterinarian. I hope this helps. -Dr. Jessica