CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My indoor cat has white flakes in her fur. Im pretty sure

My indoor cat has white flakes in her fur. I'm pretty sure the flakes are not from fleas, as there are no other symptoms - e.g scratching or bites on her (or me!). I brush her coat frequesntly, & this helps to remove the flakes. Please let me know what this flacking may be, & how to prevent them from occuring!
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Are the flakes moving, or more like dandruff?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The flakes are more like dandruff. When I brush her, the flakes come off with the removed fur.
What you are describing is dandruff, otherwise known as the medical term, seborrhea.

What the dandruff is telling us is that she is producing skin at a rate that exceeds her ability to shed it in a fine particular form.

The dead keratinised layer of skin builds up on the surface and is eventually shed in the flakes we call dandruff.

This can just be a part of an individual cat's makeup but occasionally it is due to an overactive thyroid and it may be worthwhile having your vet check the thyroid level.

Skin allergies can also play a role. If she is itchy that may be a part of the problem and often a prescription low allergy diet can be very beneficial. These diets are available through your vet. Hill's z/d is one of the most popular.

Diet in general is important. Omega 3 and Omega 6 supplements like DermaPet (Omega 3) are worthwhile trying.( These supplemets can have have a dramatic effect on seborrhea.

I hope this information helps :)
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.