CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my cat keeps coughing and gagging like he has a hairball, but

my cat keeps coughing and gagging like he has a hairball, but can't produce anything much. it's been 3 days now. the first evening was most intense, then has become less frequent (down to once per day, then back up again). he goes to the bathroom outside and i'm unable to track his bowel movements, but i don't think he has diarrhea. he is also making a chewing movement a lot. his attitude is otherwise normal: playing, purring, eating normal, drinking water. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Certainly, I have seen hacking fits as a result of hairballs, and if not already tried, you can try to use a product such as Laxatone to see if this will decrease these episodes...

In very rare cases I have seen foreign objects, such as string in the throat cause couhing...

But if the laxatone does not work - aside from hairballs, the most common reasons that cat's cough in my opinion include:

1) Feline Asthma is high on my list of possible causes for a cat coughing or hacking.

2) Heart disease - cats with an heart abnormalities can also present with a history of coughing.

3) Feline Upper Respiratory Infection - Cats can also cough (and have ocular and nasal discharge)

If the laxatone does not work - the next step would be for your veterinarian to take an x-ray to help differentiate between the causes above.

I hope this information and links above help. Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.