VetCares, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets

My cats mouth hurts when he tries to eat. His vet says he

My cat's mouth hurts when he tries to eat. His vet says he is allergic to the bacteria in his mouth and gave him a shot of cortisone, saying it would only last a month to six weeks. It has lasted only three and he's as bad off or worse than before. I can't keep fetching him back to the vet so often. Is there anything else that will help?

VetCares :

Hello and thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear that Eddie is in such discomfort. Please understand that it is not my place to diagnose online, but from your description, it sounds like your cat has stomatitis. Below is a link describing this condition. I have to say that I am not a big fan of injectable steroids as this will be a chronic condition for Eddie 9if this is what he has) and prolonged steroid injections will predispose him to diabetes. Your best bet is to consider full mouth extractions. I know that it sounds radical, but cats really are able to eat without any teeth and he will not have any more pain. I wish you both the best--happy Holidays. please do click on accept as it is the only way the site credits me. I will continue to monitor should you have any further questions.-- Dr. A. Link: