Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My cat wont stop drooling and hasnt been acting like himself

My cat wont stop drooling and hasnt been acting like himself the past couple of days
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this for you over the internet I can tell you the following :

In your cat's age group if he is salivating and is lethargic then it is possible he is suffering from a viral infection which is causing ulceration of the tongue and oral cavity. This is not uncommon as this virus is part of the cat flu virus complex and although uncomfortable it is rarely dangerous and will run it's course in a week to ten days. If this turns out to be the diagnosis then antibiotics from your vet could well help.

I can make a list for you of all the possible causes of excess salivation I have personally seen in my years as a vet in practice. What your cat is suffering from will more than likely be on this list. { the scientific name is ptyalism } :

1. A foreign body like a stick or fish hook stuck in the mouth or throat.

2. Ulcers or wounds in the mouth.

3. Poisons, like chewing wood with old lead paint on it, certain plants in the garden or house, chemicals from the environment, cats lifting toads with their mouths.

4. Infections, bacterial or viral centered in the mouth, throat or salivary gland.

5. Salivary gland defects such as sialoceles.

My advice : Given that the symptoms you are seeing is excess salivation and your cat does not seem his normal self it may be best to have your vet check him over sooner rather than later.

Here is a link to a web page which covers this subject so you can research it in depth : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.