Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice,
18324312

my cat died suddenly.. He was gasping for air it seemed.. His legs where fully extended..

my cat died suddenly.. He was gasping for air it seemed.. His legs where fully extended.. his ears where moving back and fourth.. eyes wide open but he was'nt responding when I was calling his name. After he died his tongue was hanging out his mouth and blue.. his gums where also blue and a very bad smell started comming from his mouth. what happen to my buddy?
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm so sorry to read of your cat's sudden death.
How old was he, and had he been ill?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he was between 10 to 15 years old.. He was full grown when I bought him in 2000 but he was a stray and where unsure of his exact age.
Okay, thank you.
At his age, there are many possible causes of his sudden death.
Your cat sounds like he may have vomited, and inhaled some of the vomited material. They can do this without expelling any of the vomited material. The vomit is extremely irritating to the air passages, and can cause a inflammation and a spasm which cuts off the air supply. This would explain the gasping and blue coloration as well as the bad odor from his mouth.
Strokes can act in a similar fashion, but the symptoms don't fit quite as well as the scenario described above.
It is terrible to lose a much loved pet and harder when the loss is unexpected and sudden. I'm sorry for your loss.
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But I checked and it didn't look like he had anything lodged in his throat.. He was sleeping on the floor next to me when it happened. He never stood up or tried to vomit or anything. He was sleeping and all of a sudden I heard the gasping sounds.. I look down and he was... I guess almost like a spasm of his body.. His legs where stiff and stretched out, almost like a seizure.. his eyes wide open looking straight ahead.. he was'nt respnding to my voice or touching.. his tongue was hanging out with some drool also coming out his mouth and his ears where twitching around about.. It was very tramatic but could it of been some form of heart failure or blood clot? Did he suffer?
Yes, as I said, there are many possible causes. A stroke is a blood clot that lodges in a critical location and can cause a similar reaction, but it would not explain the bad odor of his mouth.
Honestly, there is no way to definitively say what happened, all we can do offer educated guesses based on his age and the symptoms you saw.
Something interfered with his breathing, causing his rapid death an blue discoloration. That's really all we can say.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Dr. Bob