Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

my cat started spinning around in circles last night, like

Customer Question

my cat started spinning around in circles last night, like he was trying to get something on his back, biting at his fur, and he was spitting up some and meowing funny and would secrete pee here and there. he had 4 or 5 episodes like this. in between he just sits. should i take him to an emergency vet or if its a type of stone, something they can pass on their own? its just that the er vet is so expensive and im afraid whatever the treatment may be will cost too much for me to pay.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

These episodes are probably associated with a type of seizure. This could be caused by Feline Hyperesthesia or Epilepsy. This is not necessarily serious unless these episodes last a long time. With this, there is a risk of permanent brain damage.

For now, Give Kero benadryl at 1 mg per pound of his weight every 12 hrs. This will make him drowsy which may stop these episodes. then be sure to take him to your vet first thing Monday morning to know for sure what is causing these. If the episodes last longer than 10 minutes, take him to the Er vet....

Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i know when i took them to the vet months ago, that he had blood in his urine at that time and i had to give him an antibiotic and in the last few months there was blood in one of their stools, though i dont know which cat since i have 3. my husband thinks he may have some sort of blockage and that kero doesnt know what it is but trying to "get" at what hurts. he has only drank and ate a little i think. i didnt know if this could be a kidney stone. the episodes dont seem to last that long. my husband said he would meow loud when pee came out like he was in pain.
If he is straining to urinate or has no urine coming out when he tries to urinate, then this well could be a urinary Tract Infection. These episodes seem too consistent though....have your vet examine him to know for sure....