Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal vet and I see mostly dogs and cats and an occasional exotic pet, pig and goat.
25378577

Hi, my cat is crying when urinating and i dont have access

Hi, my cat is crying when urinating and i dont have access to a vet what can i do? i found the cat three weeks ago i dont know if its female or male
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kris replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Kris :

hi

Dr. Kris :

is the cat passing urine at all?

Customer : yes
Dr. Kris :

any vomitting?

Customer : no
Dr. Kris :

is it drinking?

Customer : not lately that i can tall were in the middle of the night
Dr. Kris :

is it going to the litterbox alot?

Customer : three times in the last two hours
Dr. Kris :

ok please give me a few minutes to type a response

Dr. Kris :

You may need to take this cat to an emergency vet. The fact that he/she is having a problem urinating (the crying and frequent trips to the litterbox) means that his/her urethra may be blocked or he/she may have a urinary tract infection. If it is a UTI he/she should be okay until tomorrow but if he/she is blocked you cannot wait. It is not a complete blockage since he/she can pass some urine but it may become completely blocked (this would be an emergency situation and can quickly become fatal). From this point on, I'm going to give you advice based on the assumption that he/she is blocked since it is the worse possibility of the 2 mentioned previously.

He/she'll need radiographs, blood tests and a urinalysis to check for stones or crystals in the bladder, to evaluate organ function (especially the kidneys) and to see what effect the blockage is having on the rest of his/her systems. The vet will have to place a urinary catheter or remove some urine with a needle and syringe to empty his/her bladder. He/she may also need surgery to remove whatever it is in his bladder that is causing the blockage.

In the meantime, urine waste products and bacteria are building up in your cat's bladder (and possibly in his blood stream) since heshe cannot empty it completely. He/she is going to get progressively worse and could die if he/she does not get treated. The kidneys will be the first organs to fail and you will see signs like vomitting, anorexia and lethargy when this occurs. He/she may need IV fluids to keep him/her hydrated and flush his/her system and he/she may need to be hospitalized for a few days.

Until you can get him to the vet, monitor him/her closely. Get some plain flavored pedialyte (it's better than water since it will replace electrolytes and rehydrate him) and give him/her 1 tablespoon (15 ml) an hour for as long as you can. Make sure fresh water is always available too. At the first signs that he/she is unable to pass urine, that he/she is not drinking, that he/she is vomitting, has diarrhea or if he/she seems to be in a lot of pain do not hesitate to take him/her to a vet. No matter the cause there is not much you can do to help other than making sure he/she is hydrated.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know more.

Customer : i could have acces to vet in 3 to 4days, do you think it will be too late?
Dr. Kris :

If the cat becomes unable to pass any urine at all then 3-4 days will be too late. As long as it is urinating you may be able to wait that long but it will probably be in very bad shape by then and will probably need a lot of medical attention to nurse it back to health (if it isn't too sick to recover by then). You need to make sure that it eats and drinks and you will have to force feed it if necessary (this will be difficult if you cannot touch the cat). If the cat gets any worse (vomitting, diarrhea, etc) then you won't be able to wait that long.

Customer : thanks ,
Dr. Kris :

you're welcome

Customer : how do i save this chat
Dr. Kris :

I believe once you accept the answer you will have access to it as long as you have an account.

Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal vet and I see mostly dogs and cats and an occasional exotic pet, pig and goat.