DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine, focus on feline medicine

My cat has a hard, swollen chin dotted with many lesions, that

My cat has a hard, swollen chin dotted with many lesions, that are "weeping" similar to how a human would react to severe poison oak (I know this b/c I have had it a lot). Any pressure on the chin and the sores ooze out white blood cells/platelets or thinned out blood. It has even spread a bit to his upper lips in 2 areas toward the back of his lips. No issues with eating, he's acting normal. Fleas are not a possibility. It's almost like he fell chin first into a poisonous cactus (which is also not a possibility!). I have a photo if I can send it. Thanks.
I would like to see the photo. Here is how you can upload a photo: On your question page, there is a tool bar above the reply box at the bottom of the page. If the tool bar is not showing, click "show tool bar". Once you have the tool bar showing, here are the instructions for posting your files:
For graphics, click the tree icon and then browse to choose a GIF, PNG, or JPG. Upload and then insert it.
For zip files, PDFs, or spreadsheets, you need to use the link tool. Enter text (like "download this") in the reply box and then double-click to highlight it. The link is the tool to the left of the tree. In the upper right corner is a browse dialog box, which you can use to locate your file. Select it and then insert the link. Use the Preview button if you want to test the link and see if it works correctly.
File size is limited to 1 MB.

Let me know if you have any trouble, I will be waiting to view the photo!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

4 images in one trying to give you a good idea - he is a pissed off squirmy cat right now so I hope one of them works...

They are very good. And tells me what is going on! This is a case of feline acne. Many cats get this--some will only get blackheads while others like Tabasco get worse cases with large white heads that can get infected and cause swelling and lots of pain on the lower jaw.

Sometimes antibiotics are needed in severe cases, as well as steroids to bring down inflammation.

If you want to try treating at home, you can do the following:

Make sure you are not feeding or watering out of plastic bowls (many dermatologists believe the problem is linked to plastic food bowls)--instead use ceramic, glass or stainless steel.

Clean the area daily with a warm cloth to remove debris.

Apply a triple antibiotic ointment (like neosporin) to severely affected areas.
Use either acne cream or wipes on the area daily until the severe phase is over, then use every few days to keep the area from breaking out.

Most cats with this problem will continue to have some level of problem most of their lives, but it is a manageable problem.

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THanks - can I just ask one follow up question? I also thought it was acne, but he is 5 and has never had anything like this before (or any problems, really)... Is this something that just pops up for no reason? At least with humans you know it is based on adolescence, hormones, stress, etc... (and I already have him using stainless bowls).

Yes, it can just show up. No one really knows exactly why some cats get this--food bowls is just one theory. Others are auto-immune disorders, stress or infection with other viruses at the same time. But it is actually usually seen in older cats, rather than younger ones....go figure!