Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.
31668627

My cat is pregnant, very small belly, but she is pregnant.

My cat is pregnant, very small belly, but she is pregnant. Today would be her duedate, and last night at 12am, she started to bleed a little bit from her private. She than was giving signs she was goign to give birth,some panting, but not. alot but she was also acting like she was in heat. Now its the next day, and i could stay up all night with her, she hasnt had any kittens, and doesnt seem to be acting like she is or bleeding anymore. Did somethign go wrong, or is she choosing to have them at a different time now...
I dont want to bring to a vet and spend money when i dont need to yet.
I'm trying to put her int he birthing area, but she refuses to stay there and keeps meowing for her mate...

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --Welcome to Just Answer.

JACUSTOMER-jxznyxaq- :

hi there

JACUSTOMER-jxznyxaq- :

what do we do from here

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Often cats will be very private about birthing and the least amount of intrusion and the more privacy you allow her to have the better. Often they will stay with the family until hard contractions begin - -and then steal away to make a nest. If interupted, they may stop the process to some extent -=- and it may not start up again for 24 hours.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

So best to give her space for the next 48 hours or so --

JACUSTOMER-jxznyxaq- :

but it can or will start up again...

JACUSTOMER-jxznyxaq- :

okay so i will give her space for 48hours, but if nothign happens than, i should take her to the vet?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

How much discharge did you notice? drops ? teaspoon?

JACUSTOMER-jxznyxaq- :

one big drop, and little ones here and there

JACUSTOMER-jxznyxaq- :

no more since 4:00am, but i think i was being a little intrusive

Dr. BJ Hughes :

ok -- and was this pure blood or a fluidy mix?

JACUSTOMER-jxznyxaq- :

it wasnt dark, i put my finger in it, and it was very fluidy

JACUSTOMER-jxznyxaq- :

light light red, definitley fluidy

Dr. BJ Hughes :

ok -- I would expect delivery in about 24 hours -- if not -- then a vet visit may be necessary to be sure the kittens are ok.

JACUSTOMER-jxznyxaq- :

great thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate the help

Dr. BJ Hughes :

So allowing 24 to 48 hours is appropriate.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

JACUSTOMER-jxznyxaq- :

great, good to know, i feel really relieved