Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

is devocalisation of cats effective?

is devocalisation of cats effective?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.

There is no approved and accepted procedure to devocalize a cat like the debarking procedure in dogs. Debarking in dogs is not 100% effective and sometimes it's temporary. It is also illegal in many parts of the world and considered unethical in the rest of the world. It would be difficult to find a vet willing to perform this procedure as it could be risky and it serves no medical function. It's purely cosmetic. Most would suggest rehoming if there is concern over the vocalizations of the cat.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it might be considered unethical but when you live in the suburbs your neighbours aren't always understanding when the cat screams all night. When you say risky what are the risks?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.
The risks would be cutting the nerve that opens the airway and leading to laryngeal paralysis- this is potentially life threatening. You could also inadvertently damage the blood supply to the larynx.

Just doing a little more research on this, it has been attempted by some but it didn't seem to stop more than the purr while leaving the yowling. It also seemed to lead to laryngeal spasming and this required further treatment. I think I would start by neutering him and see if that helps. If not, then you should probably find a new home for him.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the honest response on the risks at least now I am alittle informed and will discuss with my vet.