Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.

My cat has white rice-like worms by its butt. What medicine

My cat has white rice-like worms by it's butt. What medicine do I give him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 3 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Welcome to Just Answer.

Customer:

Thank you. How are you today?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This sounds like tapeworm segments -- often gotten by eating fleas, rodents or rabbits.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very well -- thank you .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The medication for this is praziquantel -- often sold aas cestatabs or tape tabs

Customer:

I believe so... I am just wondering if there is a medicine that I can get from Petco or if I need to make an appointment with a local vet.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You can purchase it over the counter -- at pet stores, online, farm stores etc.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very safe medication -- just follow directions on lable.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

(sorry for spelling -- label)

Customer:

My cat Felix is mean...I cannot get pills down his throat and last time I took him to a vet he attacked the doctor causing bleeding.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Wow -- well -- that may make this interesting.

Customer:

Yes. I have my own battle scars but he is my baby.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You can attempt to crush and place in a very tasty food (tuna -- maybe) to get it down. Cats can be difficult to get med by in the foodl

Customer:

This medicine only comes in pill form correct?

Customer:

And is it safe for a cat that may not have worms?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Let me check something -- there is an injection -- but may be for dogs only -- hold for a second.

Customer:

I have two indoor cats that share a food/water bowl and a cat box.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The injectable is approved for cats -- but will need a vet to prescribe and administer. It is safe if given to a cat without worms. The oral form is slightly safer than the injection --- occasionally (rare) can see reactions at the site of injection.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You can try the oral form -- and resort to the injection if it fails.

Customer:

Do you have any suggestion on where to order the praziquantel online or should I try Petco first?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The difference in percentage of side effects are <2% with oral administration and <10 % with injection.

Customer:

Thank you for checking on the injection...I think that I will try pills crushed in tuna first.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Try the pet store -- they generally will have it (you can even call first) -- and you can read through the label.

Customer:

Can I ask one more question? Felix the cat had a large boil like sore on his face...he scratched it until it burst. Fleas close to this area could have caused the tapeworms?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Actually -- they have to ingest the fleas -- but if there are fleas present it is possible .

Customer:

I see. Well, I will be off to get Frontline and tape worm medicine.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very good --- great idea!

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help. I am glad to have found justanswer website.

Customer:

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving!

Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.