Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.
24683783

my cat has weak front legs, very lethargic, one eye is very

Customer Question

my cat has weak front legs, very lethargic, one eye is very dilated the other looks cloudy.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 3 years ago.

Denise Colgrove :

Hi there,

Denise Colgrove :

Is the eye that looks cloudy, cloudy behind the cornea or can you not see into the eye at all and it is the cornea that is cloudy? Can you give me some more information about your cat? How old is it, what sex and what breed? Is it an indoor outdoor cat? Has it been ill long? do its ears feel hot? Any thing you can add would be helpful. thanks

Customer:

The cat is female aged 3. Sometimes the eye looks perfect. Sometimes the pupil looks very small. Mainly an outdoor cat. She is very thin but eating ok. Does not drink and to my knowledge has not passed faeces in at least the last 4 days. Her hind quarters are normal looking but she is down in front quarters. She also does not seem to sleep at all. Eyes open all the time. When you lift her she appears to be in pain but that could be that she is fearful of me giving her more of the potassium supplement which she hates getting.

Denise Colgrove :

Wow very strange symptoms. The things I think of are Feline infectious Peritonitis which is a virus and can attack many of the body cells. Often see some opaque material in the anterior chamber of the eye, usually some fever which could dry out the feces so she would not defecate easiy and could cause neurologic problems like the weakness in the front legs. Cures for it are rare. Then there is toxoplasmosis that can attack eyes and the CNS again and lastly Leukemia. There are tests that can be run to help you know if one of these is the cause. Toxoplasmosis is treatable. You need to see her vet and have an examination and some lab work run to see if she can be helped.