Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of companion animal experience
31531426

can one cat be allergic to another cat The reason that I

can one cat be allergic to another cat? The reason that I am asking this is because I have a 1 1/2 year old cat, medium hair and she had no problems until I got another cat and he is just 1 year old. Shortly after I got the second cat my 1 1/2 year old starting getting sores all over her body. Biting, pulling her hair out and at the same time I started getting little itchy spots all over my body at approximately the same time. My dermatologist said mine was due to stress. My 1 1/2 year old we have tried different foods. We did a skin culture and found nothing. But beings we both still have the same similar problem I am wondering if my 1 1/2 year old and I aren't allergic to the 1 year old. They both stay inside and don't go outside. The 1 year old also has medium length fur. The itches started after we got the second cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Steve :

HI, I'm Dr steve. Have you thoroughly checked the second cat for fleas?

Customer:

yes neither have flies

Customer:

i have even check for bedbugs

Customer:

the younger cat does not have any of the symptoms

Dr. Steve :

I have not heard of a cat being allergic to another cat. It is also too coincidental that you and your first cat are allergic to the second cat. Also when people are allergic to cats, they typically get stuffed up in the nose and may cough.

Customer:

no sores and no biting

Dr. Steve :

How many cats do you have? Are there any spots of hairloss on the new cat?

Customer:

my dermatologist said mine was due to stress

Customer:

2 cats and no hairloss on the second cat

Customer:

youngest cat is doing great

Customer:

oldest one is a female and youngest is a male.

Customer:

both have been fixed.

Customer:

all shots and declawed

Dr. Steve :

Since the young cat is doing so well, it could be an allergy to the new cat, as unusual as it seems. Have you given the older cat anything to treat allergies since this started. Howlonghasyour older cat been doing this?

Customer:

just since i got the second cat

Dr. Steve :

How long ago?

Customer:

this has been going on since this past janurary. and we have been to the vet three times

Customer:

trying different foods

Dr. Steve :

Have you given the older cat anything to treat allergies since this started?

Customer:

at times it seems to get better, less sore but they don't go away

Customer:

she has had two depo shots

Customer:

and some antiboitics

Dr. Steve :

When it seemed to get better was it right after the depo shots?

Customer:

i am just at my wits end watching her pull her hair out she has to be suffering

Customer:

yes

Customer:

but just for a short time

Customer:

could the younger cat be stressing her out

Dr. Steve :

Ok, It does seem like allergies and the timing is right for the new cat to be the problem. Have you tried benadryl for the older cat?

Customer:

no

Customer:

can i get benadryl from my vet?

Customer:

what complications does benadryl have for my cat?

Dr. Steve :

I have had clients use benadryl for allergies orally at a dose of 1 mg per pound once a day. Youcould try this and see how it works. You can get liquid benadryl form a oharmacy or super store like target. Your vet may also carry it. Somecats may become a little tired after taking benadryl, but otherwise it is pretty safe. There is another product called atopica which is used in cats for allergies. This is more expensive, but works quite well. You could ask your vet about this medicine, but benadryl is easily accesible and less expensive, so you could try that first if you choose.

Dr. Steve :

I hope this has helped. If it hs, would you please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. If you have more questions, please continue.

Customer:

mercy my cat only weighs 4 pounds

Customer:

now the younger one weighs 11 pounds

Dr. Steve :

The liquid is easier to give to small cats and she would only need 4 mg once a day.

Customer:

ok, I will ask my vet about it as we have another appointment this Thursday.

Dr. Steve :

Ask about the atopica as well.

Customer:

but do you think that the other cat might be the problem

Dr. Steve :

It certainly fits the timing. You could see if a friend or someone could take your cat for a week or two and see if both of your allergies improve. That would at least confirm what you suspect.

Customer:

It just seemed weird that we both ended up with the itchies at the same time

Dr. Steve :

Definitely unusual

Customer:

I agree

Customer:

but i will talk with my vet and thank you for your information!!!

Dr. Steve :

you are welcome

Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of companion animal experience