Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat is making a coughing choking sound a few times per minute.

My cat is making a coughing choking sound a few times per minute. Do you know what it could be and if it is serious?
Hi there and welcome to just answer.

It appears to me that your kitten may have a hair ball or something else causing a partial obstruction. This mass is too far down your cats digestive tract to come out your cats mouth but it is still making your cat nauseous and causing this choking sound.. The best thing to do is purchase a product called Laxatone at the local pet store. Give her 1/4 inch of this paste every 4 hrs for the first day and then this same dose twice per day for 2 days. If she is feeling better, then we have moved this partial obstruction through her digestive tract and she will be fine. Keep Free on a maintenance dose of Laxatone twice per week to prevent this from occurring again.

If Free continues this choking, you will have to have your vet examine her to be sure we have not missed something.

Good Luck!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to mention it has been since last night. And, I would like to confirm that you don't think it is anything in her airway. She also seems like she is trying to swallow something.
If there were something in her airway, this would cause a constant coughing and choking behavior. The fact that she is trying to swallow something tells me that she is still feeling nauseous or that there is a hair mass in the upper digestive tract. Look in her mouth as best you can to look for anything out of the ordinary....your vet may be able to check better since there are times that a kitten can get something like a stick or something stuck between her upper palate.