VetCares
VetCares, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets
51052018

My cat has dry skin. I put a small amount of olive oil on his

My cat has dry skin. I put a small amount of olive oil on his back now he has an oilly back. he still scratches a lot. And he has runny stool.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.

VetCares :

Hello and thanks for your post. Are you basing Blacky's dry skin on the fact that he is scratching a lot? Also, the topical olive oil will not be beneficial, other than to cause an oily back. I suspect the loose stools are from him grooming off the olive oil.

VetCares :

hello.

VetCares :

Can you tell me a bit more re: Blacky's itchy and dry back?

Customer:

Do you think it will take long for the olive oil to get out of his system? And what would be a good medicine for his skin?

Customer:

He has a spot by his tail that seems to be sensitive. And he gets some white flakes.. His fur looks ok. although it is oily now.

VetCares :

at the tail head?

VetCares :

and is Blacky overweight at all?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Somewhat but not to bad.

VetCares :

Are the white flakes along more or less the midline of his back too?

Customer:

Yes

VetCares :

ok, finally, where are you geographically?

Customer:

Midwest, Indiana

Customer:

Also he is an indoor cat that never goes out doors.

VetCares :

ok. so, of course please understand that I can't give any direct diagnoses as I am unable to actually examine Blacky. Having said that, it is not at all uncommon for overweight cats to have the white (keratin) flakes you speak of. Simply put, they don't contort themselves enough to be able to reach their back.

VetCares :

What I suggest in this situation,--if you take a paper towel, like Bounty--not the industrial non absorbent ones..

VetCares :

wet it and wring it out and then run it along Blacky's back

VetCares :

it isn't too much water to make him unhappy, and meanwhile, it helps with the keratin

VetCares :

and grooming it off

VetCares :

I presume from his name, he is a black cat?

VetCares :

(I am partial to black cats, btw :) )

VetCares :

so what is really a bit of dander looks that much worse on a black coat.

Customer:

of course LOL

VetCares :

If you are feeding a high quality commercial cat food, there really shouldn't be much of an issue re: not enough oils

VetCares :

for a male cat, I always also recommend that some part of the diet be a canned food too. It is the single best thing you can do to prevent urinary tract problems

VetCares :

As it gets colder,and the heat kicks in, it is really dry in general and our animals feel that as much as we do

VetCares :

If he is really greasy now, you can bath him (!) but that is a project in and of itself and I am more inclined to have you use the paper towels to "help" him

VetCares :

bathe*-excuse the typos

VetCares :

the runny stools fit the time frame of starting after the olive oil?

VetCares :

it is a logical consequence, but I want to make sure of the timing

Customer:

yes

VetCares :

ok. that should be self limiting--once the oil moves on through

VetCares :

is the rest of his coat, save for the "midline" of dander on his lower back, shiny and glossy?

Customer:

Yes

VetCares :

ok. redundant there, "shiny and glossy.." bear w/ me. ;)

VetCares :

so, I think he is just a little too rotund to groom well.. There is no such thing as crash dieting in cats... they can end up with quite a devastating complication from crash dieting called hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver disease. But it would be good for Blacky to lose some weight. Your vet can help you calculate actual kcals Blacky needs and help with devising a plan for slow weight loss

VetCares :

When I put cats on a "diet," I really like to add in the trick of adding some water to canned food, to make more of a soup. This accomplishes not only the added moisture of canned, but also a feeling of satiety after finishing off all the soup.. works well so you don't get woken up by a protesting feed me now meow.

VetCares, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets