Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.
31668627

Is it safe to give my constipated cat prunes or prune juice

Is it safe to give my constipated cat prunes or prune juice ? Vet checked his urine and since the extra water (only 2 ounces daily) His urine is good and he passes a good amount of urine daily He is very constipated OK otherwise.We have taken him to our Vet and this is his major problem. We give him water from a child dosing syringe He receives a FUS diet mostly wet with a very small amount of dry food. We have tried all the remedies we have found ( pumpkin ,salmon , bran , sardines etc, Do you have any suggestions ? What about figs?

Hopefully Helen
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 3 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

HI there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Constipation is not uncommon in older kitties -- and there are some simple ideas to help out.

Customer:

Such as?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The most common ones to use are a cat laxative (hairball preventative) that is a formulated ointment which is found in pet stores etc -- but personally, I am a fan of addiing canned pumpkin (somewhere between 1/2 - 1 teaspoon per day_ will add correct fiber to the diet. Another easy one is olive oil -- this is more of a lubricant and will help with hairballs as well.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The general dosage is about 1/2 teaspoon per meal --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Obviously -- too much of either of these will result in a loose stool -- so if this develops then discontinue for a couple of days and let the stools return to normal. give a much smaller dosage.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This should do wonders for simpel constipation.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I noted that you have tried the pumpkin -- how much were you using?

Customer:

I said I have tried these remiand my cat refusesAbout a tbsp

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- just to clarify --- did your cat refuse to eat the pumpkin -- or did it actually get the tablespoon per day and not respond?

Customer:

Both. I put in on several different foods and gave it to him with syringe

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok - it sounds liek you finally had to give it by syringe -- how many days?

Customer:

Week

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- so fiber is not the issue. Let's look at lubricants and laxatives-- these would be the ointments and oils -- have you tried any of these? If so -- if you can give me the amount and dosage it would help me out. (I do not see any in the list you gave -- but since you have tried many things there may be some you have tried andI do not know yet)

Customer:

I also give Medi Lax Every other day now. At first I gave it every day about 1 to 1 /2tsp. Now every other with a small amount of Metamucil. By syringe also

Dr. BJ Hughes :

When was his last bowel movement - and was it very hard, have hair is it , etc?

Customer:

Sorry about that it is called Tonic Lax from my vet. Yesterday if I can t by his complaining and temper.. We have 2 cats and he chases her. and simetimes tries to bite met (halfheartedly/ I find little pieces of feces around the house as I try to check if I think he has gone. It is like a rock!!!!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- I checked out Tonic Lax -- and you are well above the dosage for constipation -- so this shoudl eb working.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

(sorry for the typing errors )'

Dr. BJ Hughes :

But if it is not -- then there need to be some confinement of him to an area that you can observe any BM. This is imperative -- because at this point, if he is not responding to this -- then there is concern for a bigger issue -- loss of bowel contractions and elasticity -- which can further develop to megacolon. These are not terrible uncommon in cats -- older in particular. It sounds like you have taken the right steps. If this is not responding to treatment -- then an xray os advised to visualize the colon -- and if it is very full -- an enema followed by medication to increase gut motility and keep stools soft and moving.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Sometimes -- correcting the problem medically -- and then staying on top of the BM consistency can be enough. With other cases, continued medicatikonis necessary.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If it is confirmed as megacolon = where the movement and elasticity of the colon is lost -- so it is a big flabby balloon -- then this is more involved with medication and surgucal options.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

But first of all - is to see what the colon looks like and address accordingly.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You have definitely tried reasonable at home measures -- you can possibly try the fiber and lubricant together -- response should be seen in 2-3 days.

Customer:

OK will give it another whirl but what about the prunes and figs or other fruit?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

These are slower acting and not typically used in cats -- many do not accept the taste and there is no increased benefit over the safer alternatives.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

SOme of these (or parts) are toxic to cats -- so often they are somply avoided.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

These also serve to increase the fiber.

Customer:

How much fibre fo you suggest and how muvh lubricant? I think I can suprpass your typing errors!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Best ones to choose from at this point is the lubricant you are currently using-- with fiber (metamucil and or pumpkin)

Dr. BJ Hughes :

For fiber -- to get this moving -- use about a teaspoon per day

Dr. BJ Hughes :

For lubricant_- use of 1/2 teaspoon per day.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You have already tried to "jumpstart" this with higher levels of the lubricant.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Which is what we try to do.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If there is any diarrhea -- which is a great reason to keep him in an area where you can closely monitor BM's-- then reduce accordingly. If you are not seeing a reasonable amount of BM in 2-3 days -- and he is eating normally -- then there is an issues.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

(sorry -- issue)

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Usually == when they are really constipated -- then there is a decrease in appetite as well. So watching his eating is very important as well.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Obviously -- another contributing factor is water consumption. Which if decreased, will result in constipation. SO anything you can do to increase water consumption (add to food, running water, etc). I see you are already on a soft food -- which increases water consumption as well.

Customer:

OK I will do both to-gether. I didn' t mention that I have to give the Tonic Lax in a syring eso I know how much he is getting He is supposed to love this when he spent 4 days at the vet without defecating!! I will try giving more water by syringe . as 2 oz is not very much

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I am suspecting a colon movement problem. These can respond to appropriate meds quite well in many cases. And the earlier it is detected -- the better.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. Helen

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.