Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat has a type of fungus on her nose and it is spreading

Customer Question

My cat has a type of fungus on her nose and it is spreading up her nose making her fur really ugly. What should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you take a photo of the area for me to see? Did your vet diagnose the fungus?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi No I have not brought her to the vet. I am charging the camera battery and will take a pic very soon to send to you.

Michele Hambach
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I have your email address?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
I can't receive anything personally by email. That is the policy of Just Answer. On your question page, there is a tool bar above the reply box at the bottom of the page. If the tool bar is not showing, click "show tool bar". Once you have the tool bar showing, here are the instructions for posting your files:

For graphics, click the tree icon and then browse to choose a GIF, PNG, or JPG. Upload and then insert it.

File size is limited to 1 MB. For files bigger than 1MB, go to a free file hosting website such as MediaFire.com (Photobucket.com, Snapfish.com, Flickr.com) and click on the Upload button. Then navigate to your file and select it, and click the Start Upload button. When the uploading has completed you will be given a link to download the file. Copy the link and paste it in your question, and the Experts will be able to click on the link to download the file.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is no tool bar. I can't find it.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Are you on a mac? If so, you have to go up to the develop option on your menu and scroll down to user agent and then select Firefox 3.6.3 - Mac. That will get the tool bar to pop up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I am on a mac. Now I see it.graphic
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
How long ago did this start with her nose? Good picture!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A few months ago. Now it is very bad and I am afraid it will spread to her whole body if we do not act now.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
OK. That area on her nose does look concerning. As to if and what type of fungal infection it could be - that requires either a biopsy or scraping of that material from the nose area. By looking at it under a microscope or by histopathology, the organism can be correctly (or if another situation - a mite or immune issue) treated. As far as at home, there isn't anything that I could say to do. We need to know what the specific cause is. Your vet can look at the area and try to do a scrape in the office. If an answer isn't found, then a biopsy can be scheduled.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you but I guess I need to bring her to a vet here where I live.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
I would give your vet a chance to make a diagnosis. They have quite a few tests and options to pursue. Hopefully they can get that specific answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I brought the kitty to the vet and it is going to cost me $213.90. I am not going to pay another $38 for you to tell me to bring her to the vet.

I thought I could avoid the vet by buying some meds.