Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

How long can a cat go without going poop.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

In direct answer to your question : I have known cats go for a week or longer without passing faeces when they have been suffering from intestinal tract blockages or diseases causing stasis of the bowel.

If their cats are constipated some owners try oral remedies such mineral oil { liquid paraffin }, this is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your cat's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate would be around 2ml orally twice a day, a small syringe which you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be useful to administer it.

But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the cat, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it should respond to the above treatment.

But cats can often appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel or diseases causing stasis of the bowel. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having your vet check your cat over as further tests may be needed to try to come to some diagnosis as to why your cat appears constipated and your vet will have access to prescription drugs.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.