Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I need to put a cat to sleep at home. I intended to drug her

Customer Question

I need to put a cat to sleep at home. I intended to drug her and take her to the vet, but the vet gave me valium which only made her hyper. She's too afraid to go to the vet. What human drug or over-the-counter drug can I use to put her down without discomfort?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

Sorry to hear about your cat ...

Unfortunately in my experience there is no over the counter drug which will come anywhere near to doing this task. All you can do in this situation is to pick up another drug from your vet which may work better than the valium. Consider Acepromazine for example if your vet thinks that appropriate.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS