Dr. Elizabeth
Dr. Elizabeth, Veterinary Internist
Experience:  Small animal internal medicine specialist for 15 years with keen interest in feline diseases.
40986878

does revolution cause kidney problems in cats

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elizabeth replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Elizabeth :

Hello, Dr. Elizabeth here tonight. Hope I can help you.

Dr. Elizabeth :

Is your cat having kidney issues?

JACUSTOMER-kbnzwm8u- :

had an elevated bun and creatinine and was placed on benazepril and cimetidine in sept. had been non socializing and not eating at that time. was doing much better and was almost back to normal. i placed revolution on him saturday and today he has been having some of the original symptoms. was scheduled to have repeat blood work next week.

Dr. Elizabeth :

In short, Revolution is not necessarily contraindicated in cats with stable chronic kidney disease and does not in an of itself cause kidney disease. Pfizer, the makers of Revolution do know that about 5% of the drug is excreted unchanged by the kidneys. This doesn't mean that is causes kidney problems, but it should be used with caution in "sick or debilitated patients".

Dr. Elizabeth :

If your cat is not currently having problems with fleas then I guess I would not use it.

Dr. Elizabeth :

If you are currently having flea issues you might consider using something like fipronil (Frontline Top Spot or spray, which is topical and doesn't get absorbed) and spraying the environment with a product that inhibits development of the eggs (something with an IGR).

Dr. Elizabeth :

I have to admit that I am not the best at the environmental spray brands as I don't deal with those....I am an internist by trade!

Dr. Elizabeth :

I do think it is very smart to have his bloods checked this week.

Dr. Elizabeth :

Anything else?

JACUSTOMER-kbnzwm8u- :

not very helpful

Dr. Elizabeth :

Hmmmm. We do not have any published studies showing any problems with Revolution. Good luck with your cat and possibly your veterinarian can help you further.

Good luck with your cat.