Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

cat: wont eat or drink for several days, throws up green slime now

My cat won't eat or drink for several days, throws up green slime now. What is wrong?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Exactly how many days has Spike not eaten or drank anything? Is there a yellowish tint to his gums, inner ear flaps or white part of the eyes? If you press on his abdomen from both sides, is he painful or uncomfortable?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Spike has not eaten or drunk for 4 days. Ther is not yellowish tint and he is not in pain when we press on his abdomen.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. Anorexia in a cat can have so many different causes. It is unlikely that we will narrow it down here. It could be liver, kidney, pancreatic or adrenal gland problems. It could be cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, intestinal parasites, anemia, diabetes, blood borne and organ infections or viral infections (leukemia, FIV, FIP). It may be a toxin that he ingested or a gastrointestinal foreign body obstruction. The problem we are dealing with here, though, is that cats who don't eat anything for 3-5 days are at serious risk for a severe liver disease called hepatic lipidosis. Often, this disease is worse than what initially caused the anorexia. Not drinking for 4 days will most definitely caused severe dehydration. It is unlikely that you will be able to get enough water into him orally to correct dehydration also. Right now, my best advice to you is to get him into your vet immediately to get a full evaluation, bloodwork and hooked up to intravenous fluids. In situations like this, it is usually recommended to insert an esophageal feeding tube into them to start getting nutrition in them before the condition gets much worse. When a cat gets into this state, it is usually pretty serious. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.