CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

cats: stopped eating..him hydrated and meds (metronidazole..bites

both my cats suddenly stopped eating a week ago and puked for a couple of days and diarreha. I brought the one in on Tuesday and got him hydrated and meds (Metronidazole) which I have been giving him. Neither one will eat more than a couple of bites of food twice a day. They both were playing with a dead mole a couple of days before getting sick. I have tried evry kind of food I can think of. They are acting normal besides the not eating. Is this normal for them not to eat? How long can an upset stomach last?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

An upset stomach or loss of appetite can be from many causes, including a foreign object, change in food, even systemic problems such as kidney or liver issues.

If there is no underlying cause, asking your vet for an appetite stimulant such as Cyproheptadine may be very helpful!

What can we try at home to get this in the right direction???

- You can try to offer small amounts of diluted pedialyte for hydration and electrolytes. You can even purchase a dropper from your local pharmacy to offer the water/pedialyte mixture by mouth.

- A calorie dense nutritional supplement such as nutrical:

- Another option would be baby food. If you are going to try this, please purchase baby food that does not have any ingredients such as garlic or onion.

Many baby foods now will only have the ingredients of the item and water...for example chicken and water. But they will not have any other salts or seasonings. This is what you need. Just chicken and water or beef and water

for example.

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.