Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal vet and I see mostly dogs and cats and an occasional exotic pet, pig and goat.

Dear vet, I have a 10 week old kitten. How much and how often

Customer Question

Dear vet, I have a 10 week old kitten. How much and how often do I feed her? No matter how much food I leave down for her she eats everything, sometimes her belly is quite big afterwards
Submitted: 6 years ago via KittenCare.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kris replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Kris :

Dr. Kris :

Are you feeding the kitten dry kitten food?

Dr. Kris :

Does it have any feeding recommendations on the bag?

JACUSTOMER-a6rocvc9- : I feed her a small handful of dry food with her wet food
JACUSTOMER-a6rocvc9- : But it's adult dry food, I couldn't get and kitten dry food
JACUSTOMER-a6rocvc9- : But mainly she eats the 3 teaspoons of wet food I give her 3 times a day
Dr. Kris :

Your little one needs to be eating kitten food because adult food does not have the proper amount of nutrients she needs. Do you feed 3 teaspoons of food at each meal or 1 teaspoon 3 times a day? Is it a standard teaspoon or a heaping spoonful?

Dr. Kris :

Does the wet food have feeding recommendations on it?

Dr. Kris :

How much does the kitten weigh?

JACUSTOMER-a6rocvc9- : 3 normal teaspoons per serving. The serving suggestion is "little and often" on the pack. I think she weighs less than a pound
Dr. Kris :

Expert:  Dr. Kris replied 6 years ago.
Since each type of food has a different formulation I usually recommend feeding based on the recommendations that are usually on the label. The feeding guide usually lists amount of food based on weight or age (for some kitten foods). Wet food is very calorie rich so if you are feeding it in combination with the dry food, I recommend feeding less wet food (so 2 tsp instead of 3). Dry food is better for your cat in the long run so if you can try to make dry food her predominant food type that would be great. Again, depending on the calorie content of the food, generally kittens should be fed 1/4-1/2 cup of dry food per day split into 2-3 meals. If your kittens stomach is very bloated after eating her meal then you need to decrease the portions. Unless the wet food has a feeding guide, 2 tespoons per meal should be more than enough even if it seems like she gobbles it up like she's starving.

If you find that she is losing weight (get a scale that measures ounces like an infant scale and weigh her every day) then you can increase the portions but feed her 4 times daily. You should try to feed her at least 3 times a day until she is 6 months then you can feed her twice a day after that. The feeding guide on most food is accurate and it is best to follow those directions to prevent obesity. If it turns out your kitty has a very good metabolism and you can feel her ribs even though you are following the guide, then you can increase her portions by 1/4-1/2 cup (and by "cup" I mean the standard dry measure cup). If you choose to feed both wet and dry food, decrease the amounts of either accordingly. For example, if you feed 1/4 can of wet food per day and she is supposed to get 1/4 cup dry food then you should decrease the amount of dry food by 25-50%. It is good to regulate food intake because too much can lead to weight and future health problems as well as cause impaction and constipation from overwhelming the intestines.

Please keep in mind that you need to feed kitten food until she is 1 year old.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know more.

Edited by Dr. Kris on 10/25/2010 at 9:11 AM EST