Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat has a voracious appetite but losing weight. She was

My cat has a voracious appetite but losing weight. She was at the vet for 9 days and they took several tests. They ruled out diabetes, tyroid. They sent me home with Acarex and Baytril. She lost weight while there and they can't seem to determine what is wrong with her specifically.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Does she have diarrhea?

2- Did they do any xrays or abdominal ultrasound?

3- I assume all the blood work was normal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think she had diarrhea. I don't think they did any xrays or abdonomal ultrasound. The blood work at first showed low white blood count but was elevated while she was there.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

An over active thyroid (hyperthyroidism) is one of the most common causes for increase appetite and weight loss. Other conditions with similar symptoms would be malabsorption/malassimilation, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, bacterial over growth, inflammatory bowel disease, and even cancer. I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about performing an abdominal ultrasound to look a little closer at the abdomen and make certain everything is within normal limits. If the ultrasound is normal, than your vet will proceed to work up for the other above mentioned conditions. In the meantime, I would recommend consider switching her to a grain free diet either commercial or feed at home boiled boneless chicken (75%) with some potato or rice.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will give my vet your information. They put her on Hill's prescription diet k/d. Is this not acceptable? Before she went to the vet I had been cooking her chicken which she readily ate. Also, I forgot to say my vet thinks she may have kidney discease. Would this cause the problem
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Leave her on the K/D; that is fine. If you are vet is suspecting kidney disease with her symptoms, request for them to check for protein loss via the urine; this can cause weight loss and increase appetite.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If she has kidney problems and that is the problem what is the prognosis and what treatment is recommended to control the kidney failure
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

It depends on the underlying cause of the kidney condition; this is where an ultrasound is essential for those answers. But, in general diet (k/d), fluid therapy and sometimes medications will delay the progression of the disease and the cat can live for years. It is treatable but not curable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What kind of fluid therapy and how can I accomplish this fluid therapy at home? What medications will delay the progression of the disease?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Your veterinarian can teach you how to give fluids under the skin as a form diuresis. As far medications there ace inhibitors to control hypertension and improve kidney perfusion. In addition, supplements (fish oil), etc.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, the fist oil supplements are they over the counter as I have some fish oil supplements here at home can I give her those and how much? What about the medications she is on now? What are they for?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Baytril is an antibiotic, I suspect your vet has her on it because of the WBC being elevated. I am not familiar with the Acarex.

I would recommend to wait on the fish oil. Though it is a supplement it is best for your veterinarian to recommend the supplement they want to use based on her laboratory findings.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, one more thing. I want to print out this information so I have it for my vet. In case I can't print this page out could you send all this information to my e-mail address atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I would hate to have all this valuable information lost and me not having it in printed form.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You will receive or should be receiving this information to the email you provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was able to print out the page, thank you. XXXXX have any more questions pertaining to this issue I may have forgotten to ask, can I get back to you without an additional charge.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Yes, just follow this thread.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, I don't know how to follow this tread? I have never done this before - sorry, please explain. Sorry to be so ill-informed
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Go to the any of the emails you have receive and then click on the question and it will bring you back to here.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.