Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.

is it safe to give my large (25 lb) cat Dulcolax for constipation

is it safe to give my large (25 lb) cat Dulcolax for constipation? If not, what is safe...this is a chronic problem for him and I know he is in pain. Thank you, barbara
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 3 years ago.

Denise Colgrove :

Hi Barbara,

Customer :

Hi Denise,

Denise Colgrove :

We often use lactulose and propulsid.which need prescriptions. Also Miralax or psyllium seed powder would be good. Miralax is available over the counter and that is easy so you could use 1/4 teaspoon in canned food once or twice a day Be sure he is well hydrated by feeding canned food, adding a little water to it, be sure water is always available in various places, give him chicken broth and beef broth, tuna water etc. Sometimes cats like those electric water fountains available from the pet store and drink more from them Also sometimes lumbar pain makes it hard for cats to defecate so have him checked out at your vet's if possible.

Customer :

Do you do prescriptions or should I call my vet to do it? I have some Miralax...so could start that now.

Denise Colgrove :

Yes, see how he does on the Miralax for several days. If that works then stick with that. Otherwise you would need to call your vet because we have to have seen the animal in order to prescribe.

Customer :

The cats have a large cat fountain that get fresh water every. They really like it. When I give them canned foofd I mix a can of water in with the food so it is like gravy.

Denise Colgrove :

Perfect!

Customer :

Thanks for your help

Denise Colgrove :

You are welcome.

Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience: Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.