Dr. Elizabeth Ann
Dr. Elizabeth Ann, Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 18 years in small animal medicine/surgery and more than 8 years in ER and critial care.

what causes a perforated colon in cats my cat died from on

Customer Question

what causes a perforated colon in cats?my cat died from one
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elizabeth Ann replied 6 years ago.
Hi. I am sorry to hear about your cat. Eight years old is too young! There can be many reasons that the colon could perforate. It could be due to certain medications that were given (such as aspirin or other antiinflammatories), a foreign object that injures or tears the colon, a procedure (such as an enema), cancer, decreased blood supply to the area (sometimes an animal can become shocky and the blood supply to the intestine is one of the first areas to get less blood supply when the blood pressure decreases) or even a severe viral infection. Perforation of the colon is very serious and usually results in a severe peritonitis (infection in the abdomen) that can be very, very difficult to treat and often would require multiple surgeries to treat. I hope this helps answer your question. If you would like to provide more information, I may be able to guide you further. Did they ever do a necrospy (autopsy) to find out what happened?