Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004 with 15 years in feline rescue.
23926829

My cat has very strong, sticky urine in huge quantities and

My cat has very strong, sticky urine in huge quantities and she urinates anywhere but the litter box. She has seen a vet and received tests for cyctoplastis(?) and diabetes which both came back normal. An xray of her intestines showed they were twisted. She received a 2week antibiotic injection which seems to have had no real effect.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Jenn :

Hi there

Dr. Jenn :

Does she poop in the box? How many cats do you have and how many boxes? Where are the boxes located?

Customer :

She does poop in the box. She's the only cat and we have one box. When she pees it is usually on the ceramic tile, in the shower or bathtub, or in the sink.

Dr. Jenn :

Where is the box located?

Customer :

In the garage which she accesses through a kittly door. This is a new behavior, and we really have not had this problem before the last two months

Dr. Jenn :

Just wanted to make sure the box was not an issue-I would however add another box. You should have the # XXXXX cats plus 1 equal the # XXXXX boxes. The next step would be to have the urine cultured to be sure there is not a urinary tract infection. I would also consider getting Feliway, a pheromone, that can help stop the behavior. Cat attract can also be added to the boxes to entice her to use them. Are there any new poeple or pets in the house?

Customer :

No. We also have two dogs, but they have been with her several years.

Dr. Jenn :

Asking because ANY stress can cause this behavior. Anything new is stressful to a cat! Her urine needs to be cultured. I am assumming she is already spayed.

Customer :

Yes she is. They did check the urine at her vet visit two weeks ago and nothing showed up but because of the strong odor they decided to give her the antibiotic injection

Dr. Jenn :

A urinalysis is not the same as a urine culture-the culture needs to sent to the lab-and they try to grow bacteria-they will find the smallest amount and find out what will kill it! There is also a prescription diet that may help-royal canin so.

Customer :

So we should take her in again for a urine culture?

Dr. Jenn :

yes-we need to confirm there is not a urinary tract infection. It will take a few days to get results. If it comes back clear I would talk to your vet about medications that can be used to stop this behavior.

Customer :

And if there is not a urinary tract infection?

Dr. Jenn :

There are medications that your vet can provide that help stop this behavior.

Customer :

ok

Dr. Jenn :

All areas where she has gone need to be clened with an enzymatic urine cleaner, URINE OFF. Use a black light to find all the areas

Dr. Jenn, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal medicine since 2004 with 15 years in feline rescue.