Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

A young stray cat has diarrhea. I have taken him in. He is

A young stray cat has diarrhea. I have taken him in. He is probably 4-5 months old. He has diarrhea. How can I help?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. When you say you've taken him in, what did they test him for (did they do a fecal) and did he get any treatments?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Take him in: I was referring to me taking him into my home as a pet. I did not take him to a vet as of yet. He is thin and pretty young. What food should I be feeding him? This may be the problem.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
OK. I thought the "take in" was to the vet. That is why I always ask. You are correct in that the food that you're feeding him could be the cause of the diarrhea. Basically anytime a food change is made, it can cause a period of intestinal upset displayed by diarrhea. Usually, in these cases, once they've been on the food for 3 to 7 days, the stools greatly improve if that is the only issue. Honestly, I would be feeding him a good quality kitten diet - a combination of moist and dry to help him get used to both. Could his loose stools be due to giardia, intestinal parasites, or coccidia? These are also possible and the only way to know this is to have your vet do a fecal exam on him. Given his age, he is one that should be started on his vaccine series and be checked over by a vet. I would get him in at your earliest convenience so they can make sure he's as healthy as he can be.