Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat has been eating a lot just lately. Never seems to be

My cat has been eating a lot just lately. Never seems to be satisfied with just one packet of cat food, wants two, then asks for more. He is looking sort of thin although when I recently weighed him he was 14lbs the same weight has he always was. My sister seems to think he might have a thyroid problem. Can you help?

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Is he drinking more than usual?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Him my cat doesnt seem to be drinking more than usual, he never has drunk much anyway but he is very much an outdoor cat and a hunter so I have no real idea of what he gets up to. I think it might have been going on for a couple of months. He disappeared for 9 days back in April, he came back and he had a wound on his head, I took him to the Vets and they said his wound was an abscess that had burst which is why he absented himself from us. He lost 3lbs in weight at the time but seemed to gradually put on weight and as I said he was 14lbs when I weighed him recently and that was his weight before he went off for 9 days.

When a cat eats more than normal or has an increase in appetite, there are several conditions associated with this like hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid), diabetes, sometimes kidney or liver disease, etc. But, the most common is having an over active thyroid as your sister suspected. Having an over active thyroid can predispose to other problems like kidney or heart disease if the thyroid is not controlled. Your cat needs a hands on exam by your veterinarian and a blood test to rule out an over active thyroid. There are medications that can make his thyroid normal again. Follow up with your veterinarian.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter