Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat has some kind of worms. She has had them before and

My cat has some kind of worms. She has had them before and been treated There is blood in her stool, she has licked off her fur on her lower abdomen and a circular patch on her leg. She is constantly itching and scratching and seems restless and upset. She also has fleas, which I have given her first sheild medication for the last 2 months, bathed her before applying the medication, washed all the bedding, used fleabuster powder on all the carpeting, and vaccumed consistently. There are 2 other cats in the household which have all received the medicine at the same time. They are indoor only cats. I am going to take them to the vet, but after the cost of the visit, fecal sample tests, and shots we will be spending a lot of money...so my question is...what else should I be doing to make sure they don't get the worms again after the pricy visit?
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Can you actually see these worms, are they round her anal area about the size of large grains of rice?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Haven't seen any any of those lately, but she has had them in the past, and been treated for tapeworms, right?

Thanks for the quick reply :

In direct answer to your question : " What else should I be doing to make sure they don't get the worms again after the pricy visit? "

The best thing to do here would be to worm your cats on a regular precautionary basis, say every six months { But follow the directions on the pack of any meds buy } and keep them free of fleas. There is no real need to visit the vet for worm meds, there are two sorts you would be concerned about.

A. Tape worms : You can usually see them round the cat's rectal area or tail, they are about the size of a grain of rice and you can sometimes see them move.

Here is a link to a picture of tapeworm segments : IMAGE

2. This is no cause for concern, usually these will not affect your cat much and it can be treated with simple oral medication which your vet can supply or over the counter medication from a good pet store. Try something like Tradewinds which is now an over the counter product and is the same as Droncit which before you could only get from the vet, it contains Praziquantel. Just follow the directions on the pack. I have prescribed loads of droncit over the last twenty eight years and found it to be safe and effective.

3. Make sure your cat is free from fleas as they can be part of the tape worm life cycle but they can catch them from eating rodents as well.

4. Cat tapeworms are very rarely a risk to people, here is a link which covers the subject : LINK

B. Round Worms : These worms are long and thin like small pieces of spaghetti. Round worm tablets are again available from your vet but most of the over the counter ones from better pet stores work well too. Here is a typical example : LINK.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Two different Banfiled locations I visited today told me the over the counter worm medications do not work as well as the shots the cats will receive at the vet. I don't know if they are trying to get me to bring them in or if this is true? I remember researching this online years ago and seeing single worm medications that work for multiple types of worms, will that work or should I get the seperate meds that you suggested? Also where can I buy the meds you suggest?

Hello again,

Put it this way I would have no problem giving the sorts of products I mentioned to my own cats, on a preventative basis they would be effective enough. Droncit which is the same as Tradewinds is provided on a frequent basis by vet clinics and so is Piperazine the active constituent of D-worm. There are of course a number of other products to choose from, some from vets some over the counter all with their plus and minus points. I guess the advantage of dealing with a vet is that you are getting their expertise as well and a fall back if there are problems.

You can get these products from Petsmart and they will also supply them online and send them out promptly : LINK

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for the useful information. Knowing that I won't have to spend $150 per cat is extremely relieving. You are very helpful and I will keep this site and you in mind for any further concerns. I'm sorry but I do have one last question...since we have 3 cats and there are only three tabs should I buy 2 so we can readminister, or is one dose enough? And how long do we wait before giving them a second dose?
Hello again,

Please ask as many questions as you like, that is Just Answer is all about. :-)

I would buy a few packs just to save on postage, having said that one dose should clear them up Ok but you should give them on a regular basis as a prevention.

Regards,

Scott