Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

can worms transfer from cats to humans

Customer Question

can worms transfer from cats to humans
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : It is possible for cats to pass on round worm infections to people, this can cause problems such as blindness but thankfully this is very rare. The roundworm concerned is called Toxocara Cati.

The kittens catch these worms as an early infection from their mothers either just before or just after birth and some degree of worm burden then stays with the cats for life.

Round worms such as toxocara cati rarely affect the kittens or cats much but they are important from a public health angle as children or adults who put their fingers in their mouth or otherwise get contaminated after having come in contact with cat faeces say in a litter tray or in the garden. As I said this is thankfully rare though.

Round worms are the easiest sort of worm to treat and any of the products in good pet stores or from your vet labeled for this purpose will be effective. As these worms are present throughout life cats should be wormed at regular intervals. A product like THIS from PetSmart would be fine. You should also observe basic hygiene such as hand washing and avoiding exposure to cat faeces as much as possible where young children are concerned.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS