Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My cats hind legs were not working properly all of a sudden.

My cats hind legs were not working properly all of a sudden. Then her whole body seemed to tense up. What could this mean?
Can you explain what you mean by her hind legs "not working properly"? Is she dragging them?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes , she couldn't starighten them out all of a sudden.
Can she stand on them or walk? Is she crying?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is limping and no she is not crying but seems frightened. now she is just laying down.
Does she go outside, or is she exclusively indoors?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Exclusively indoors...
Okay. Obviously without seeing her, it is impossible for me to say for certain, but here are the two most likely scenarios. First, your cat may have fallen and fractured or sprained something. In that case, you would see limping. For that, you could give it a day and see if it gets any better. If it does not, you will need to see a vet. Do NOT give any over the counter pain medications. Second, it is possible that your cat has an underlying heart disease that caused a blood clot to become lodged in the blood vessel that supplies the back legs, and that can cause dragging of the hind limbs, limping, crying, fear, etc. In that case, if there is any dragging of the hind limbs, I would see a vet today, because this is excruciatingly painful. I hope this helps... best of luck.