Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

My cat keeps licking and is swallowing a lot almost like something

My cat keeps licking and is swallowing a lot almost like something comes up in her throat and she swallows it. She is 2 yrs old and does vomit what looks like whole mushy food on occassion, I am assuming it is furballs. She weighs about 7lbs and appears healthy and active. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Hi there.

Because of her age, most likely this is a hair ball. Often these are too far down their digestive tract to come out their mouth but are still making them feel nauseous,. This swallowing and licking is telling you that Dooney is feeling nauseous. the best thing to do is to purchase a hair ball remedy such as Laxatone and give Dooney a dose every 4 hrs for 1 days during the day and then twice a day until she stops this behavior.

If she is acting otherwise normal, this will make her feel better and slide this mass through her tract.

Good Luck!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your quick response. Do I need to get Laxatone at my vet or will a pet supply store carry it? I had given her hairball remedy treats and she did not vomit so I assume as you said the hair ball is lower in her digestive tract and these "treats" will not aid in her feeling better.

Thanks again for your response

Yes, the Laxatone can be purchased at any pet store.... giving a dab on her nose so she can lick it off if you have trouble getting her to take this.