CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My vet just prescribed Biomox ( 50mg) for my cat to treat

Customer Question

My vet just prescribed Biomox ( 50mg) for my cat to treat an upper respiratory infection. The package says " For use in dogs only" Is it safe for my cat? Also the dosage is 1cc BID The dropper doesn't measure cc's but has a line for .5 ml Is that close to the 1cc?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
CriticalCareVet :

Thank you for your post!

Biomox, otherwise known as amoxicillin is safe in cats. Often in veterinary medicine, drugs are used "off-label" as it costs a LOT of money for the drug companies to validate them in all species...but Biomox, and the dose you have listed is a safe dose and can be used in cats.

I hope this helps!

CriticalCareVet :

_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Customer :

What about figuring out the dosage? The RX is for 1cc and the dropper is measured for .5ml. Is it the same ?

CriticalCareVet :

1cc = 1ml

If the dose is for 1cc, you need to give 1ml, which will be 2 droppers of 0.5.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet :

Please now click accept - thank you.