FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery, including emergency medicine

Hi, my cat has just eaten half a heather plant. Is heather

Hi, my cat has just eaten half a heather plant. Is heather safe for her to eat?
Chat Conversation Started
FamilyPetDoctor :

HI, I'd like to help..... How many leaves did she eat? Is she displaying any symptoms right now? How long ago did it happen?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi I think she has been eating it possibly yesterday and definitely today (this morning) as I caught her with it. I would say she has had at least 3/4 frongs? In terms of symptoms she has had at 1 runny stool but she is fine in her self. She was happy to eat her breakfast and has been interacting with us normally.

In general this type of plant isn't toxic unless consumed in large quantities. But, it can cause diarrhea and even vomiting as it causes some intestinal irritation.

I would recommend putting that plant out of reach of your cat... just to insure that more isn't ingested. BUt, I wouldn't worry too much about what your cat has done. The diarrhea should resolve in 2-3 days. If not, see your vet.

Dr C