Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my cat started twitching and licking his paws and side vigrously

my cat started twitching and licking his paws and side vigrously running away and hiding. Doesn't have fleas, or ticks, took him to the vet they did a blood panel nothing wrong, except his blood calcium is a little high, they also did a ultrasound said one of his kidneys is bigger than the other he is pkd negative vet suggested a food change to a hypoallergenic _food, is this early stage of kidney failure , and I already spent 395.00 with this vet I am not pleased
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello.

Dr. Andy :

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Dr. Andy :

Well, not sure the concern for early stage kidney disease if the vet said the blood test was fine? If there were kidney problems, there should have been changes in the BUN and/or creatinine on the blood test. If not present, I have no reason to believe there is any kidney problem present.

Dr. Andy :

The elevated calcium (hypercalcemia) could be significant. Even if mild, that should be monitored as it can increase in the face of cancer.

Dr. Andy :

The ultrasound is very subjective. If a specialist didn't do the ultrsound, then I don't know if there is anything to say about the difference in kidney size. I am more interested in whether the "architecture" of the kidney was okay. Meaning, did the cortex and shape of the kidney appear normal.

Dr. Andy :

Some of his symtpoms may even be secodnary to underlying allergy issues. So, it would be interesting to see if he improved with an antihisatmine, or perhaps, a short-acting steroid shot.

Dr. Andy :

Also, if not happy, ALWAYS feel free to get a copy of all records and test results,and simply consult another vet. I do second opinions where I work all of the time.

Dr. Andy :

Definitely, worth a review of the results and a new exam by a different vet, so you can feel more comfortable about what you have been told.

Dr. Andy :

I wouldn't worry too much about the calcium. AT 2 years of age, it is very unlikely there is a cancer issue to be thinking about.

Dr. Andy :

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). Just Answer will not credit me for the time assisting you, and it helps me to recognize that we are finished. Leaving feedback and a bonus is not required, but is greatly appreciated!

Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion and follow-up, if needed.

Customer :

apparently his blood calcium came back normal.  I have changed him to hypoallergenic food and he seems to be doing better. My vet suggested behaviour drugs I do not agree and refuse to do. She also suggested benedryl that just makes him sleep all day. I am very reluctant to put him on steroids I do not believe that is necessary he still refuses to go outside.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management